My Life as a Las Vegas DJ

Monday, June 17, 2013

DJ/Announcer for Softball Camp - Las Vegas Style

Las Vegas DJ

This past week I was hired to be the announcer and Las Vegas DJ for a softball camp in Las Vegas. This organization puts on two of these camps each year.  One in June and the other during school break in December. Girls and their parents from all over the country were at the camp and there was a lot of excitement.

Organizers want only the name of the person at bat announced  and then some music between innings and games.  As for me, no breaks at all during the gig. My food and drink were all in a cooler that was within easy reach.

The weather was extremely hot, this is June in Las Vegas  after all.  The first day was about 101 degrees.  I had one of those cheap pop up shade structures.  But I was still worried my poor Sony Viao would shut down due to the extreme heat.  I drank about two gallons of water that first day.

The second day; well it was hotter and windy.  The temps climbed up near 110 and in the afternoon the wind started kicking up.  My cheap pop up shelter ended up blowing over and getting bent - it was unusable.  I was really concerned about the heat on my skin.  I kept applying sun screen, put on a long sleeve shirt and hat and used a "cooling towel" to keep the my body temp under control.  The cooling towel worked wonders (you can get them at Lowes Hardware).  Every 20 minutes or so I'd soak it in my ice cold cooler water and wrap it around my neck.

With no shade, I was worried my laptop would shut down from the extreme heat conditions.  I made a small shade device that kept the sun from roasting my sound equipment.  Fortunately everything held up and I was able to keep the equipment cool enough - barely.

The money was good, but it was a rough Las Vegas DJ gig.  Lots of dust from the ball field, extreme heat and the wind made this Las Vegas DJ gig a challenge.  For the next outdoor Las Vegas DJ gig like this I'm going to build my own shade structure out of wood!

DJ Angel- VegasDeeJay.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment